The Ohio Department of Education has posted information concerning the 2014–2015 administration of Ohio’s New State Tests. Among the news:
1) Each test has a performance-based assessment (PBA) and an end-of-year test (EOY). In the performance-based assessment, students construct their responses and a trained education professional scores them. In the end-of-year test, student responses are computer scored. The amount of time that each school must schedule for testing:
- Grade 5 and Grade 8 Science
- PBA: 75 minutes
- EOY 75 minutes
- Physical Science
- PBA: 90 minutes
- EOY: 90 minutes
2) Practice tests for science will be available in October 2014 through the Ohio Computer Based Assessments Portal.
3) Student registration for the Spring 2015 administration runs October 27–November 7.
4) Spring 2015 test coordinator manuals, test administration manuals, and technology guidelines will be available in January 2015 through the Ohio Computer Based Assessments Portal.
ODE’s posted information is available as a PDF file: ODE PARCC AIR tests 2014–15
Want to learn more about preparing students for performance-based test items? ODE and ESCs are partnering to present five-day “Performance Task Writing Workshops” for teachers—find out more on the ODE website.